Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Whole 30 Day 1

I started the Whole 30 plan on Monday, January 5th 2015.

Day 1
The hubs and I had recently eliminated a lot of processed food from our lives and we had made a lot of healthy changes to our diet and out lifestyle so the switch to Whole 30 isn't that crazy...however it is still a big change. I didn't realize how much of a snacker I was. I would have just a little of this or that to get me through the day. The book (here) talks about why you should avoid having snacks on the program it it me that I would usually go for a sugary snack (fruit or a fruit bar). I was sugar dependent and didn't even realize it. I thought I was being super healthy because I was going for a banana not realizing that it wasn't always because I was hungry it was because I was satisfying a craving. I had an unhealthy RELATIONSHIP with food - with sugar. Holy light bulb going off!

I have to say that I realize that a banana is not a terrible choice but I was mindlessly grabbing for something sugary and that isn't super healthy...if you are still confused I encourage you to read the book. A light bulb will go off for you too I think!

What I ate and how I felt:

Pre-Breakfast: Started the day with a big glass of water (I used to wake up and drink soda - don't shame me!!!)

Breakfast: Two runny eggs over a bed of arugula with sauteed onions and peppers with a spoonful of pico de gao and a little bit of avocado.


Lunch: Sauteed brussels sprouts with slivered almonds, roasted cranberries, left over roasted asparagus, roasted chicken (leftover) with a balsamic reduction (I literally just de-glazed the pan I was roasting my brussels in by adding some balsamic vinegar and letting it cook for a few minutes. I put everything on a bed of arugula.

Dinner: Roasted Chicken (leftover) with steamed broccoli and carrots with a few blueberries. Not exciting but it was getting late and it was easy.

Confession - I kinda cheated...on the first day....I'm terrible. I was late coming home from work because it was snowing and it took me almost and hour and a half to commutte, so I was starving. I stopped by my local Aldi to grab some milk and a few veggies and a pint of blackberries that were super cheap. Long story short I ate the blackberries (ALL OF THEM). I decided not to beat myself up - they are blackberries and I am breastfeeding but I still feel guilty).

I realized I should start taking photos of my food. I'm going to do that from now on. My posts will look way prettier - hang in there with me.

How I felt:
I didn't want to hurt someone if that's what you're wondering. It was fine...but I had a crazy headache. I had a small cup of coffee right at noon and that helped and drank lots of water and that pretty much took care of it. I have a sensative GI tract so now I have crazy heartburn from the coffee. I'll have to switch to tea I suppose.

Exercise: Two miles on the treadmill. It was late when I did it so I didn't want to go crazy or I wouldn't sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment